How to Apply Credit to Invoice in QuickBooks Online
When managing your business finances in QuickBooks Online, it’s essential to know how to apply credit to an invoice correctly. Applying credit to an invoice allows you to deduct the amount owed from the customer’s credit balance, reducing their overall payment due. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
1. Open QuickBooks Online and go to the “Customers” tab.
2. Select the customer whose invoice you want to apply a credit to.
3. Click on the “Receive payment” option.
4. In the “Receive Payment” window, enter the payment details such as payment method, date, and amount.
5. Under the “Outstanding Transactions” section, find the invoice you want to apply the credit to and click on it.
6. In the “Apply Credits” section, select the credit you want to use from the available credits.
7. Ensure that the amount applied is correct, and click on “Save and close” to complete the process.
Applying credit to an invoice helps in maintaining accurate customer balances and can also be beneficial in building customer loyalty. To help you understand the process better, here are some frequently asked questions about applying credit to an invoice in QuickBooks Online:
1. Can I apply partial credits to an invoice?
Yes, you can apply partial credits to an invoice. Simply enter the amount you want to apply in the “Apply Credits” section.
2. What if I apply more credit than the invoice amount?
If you apply more credit than the invoice amount, the remaining credit balance will be available for future invoices or can be refunded to the customer.
3. Can I apply credits to multiple invoices at once?
Yes, you can apply credits to multiple invoices simultaneously. In the “Receive Payment” window, select the invoices you want to apply credits to.
4. How can I view the credit balance of a customer?
To view a customer’s credit balance, go to the “Customers” tab, select the customer, and click on the “Transaction List” tab. The credit balance will be displayed in the “Open Balance” column.
5. Can I apply credits to unpaid invoices from a different customer?
No, you cannot apply credits from one customer to another. Credits can only be applied to invoices from the same customer.
6. Can I apply credits to sales receipts instead of invoices?
Yes, you can apply credits to sales receipts as well. The process is similar to applying credits to invoices.
7. What if I mistakenly apply the wrong credit to an invoice?
If you mistakenly apply the wrong credit to an invoice, you can click on the “Clear Selection” button in the “Apply Credits” section and select the correct credit instead.
Applying credit to an invoice in QuickBooks Online is a straightforward process that can help streamline your business finances. With these guidelines and answers to frequently asked questions, you can ensure accurate record-keeping and maintain good customer relationships.